Sunday, August 25, 2013

How do you work out when your depressed?

I was clinically diagnosed with depression when I was 12 and have spent the last 13 years struggling with it every day.  I've been off and on several different medications, and had horrible post-pardum after having my daughter, and some days it hits me harder than it does others, but I know I have to push through it because I have a husband and a 2 year old who depend on me, plus, I depend on me to get things done.

Exercise releases endorphins in your brain which, in layman's terms, make you happier.  So whenever I feel like I just can't work out either because I feel like I can't get out of bed or because I'm just not in a good mood, I remind myself that I feel so much better not only physically but mentally after a I workout.

Depression also makes some people want to eat; for me, I get stomach aches and can't stand the thought of food, either way, it's not healthy.  So making yourself eat or making yourself stop eating (especially if you're going for the junk drawer!) when you don't want to isn't easy.  It all takes mental strength that exercise can help you with!

The harder I work, the more I accomplish and the better I feel.  

It's not a bad motto to live by.  This isn't a long or even an informative post, I just wanted to let others out there who's depression often gets in the way of them trying to keep themselves healthy and in shape know that you are definitely not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment